- A NEW START FOR MURANO GLASSFebbraio 1, 2023 - 3:24 pm
- ENJOY VENICE AT CHRISTMAS TIMEDicembre 15, 2022 - 11:27 am
- WHAT NEWS FROM SAN MARCO?Dicembre 13, 2022 - 8:06 pm
- AI WEIWEI IN VENICEAgosto 11, 2022 - 5:53 pm
- MARLENE DUMAS OPEN-ENDLuglio 21, 2022 - 6:10 pm
- ANISH KAPOOR AT THE GALLERIEAprile 19, 2022 - 7:27 pm
- HOMO FABER IS BACK!Aprile 1, 2022 - 7:12 pm
- UPCOMING EXHIBITS SPRING 2022Marzo 25, 2022 - 10:03 pm
- VENICE 1600 YEARS OF BIRTHS AND REBIRTHSSettembre 24, 2021 - 10:56 am
- THE GLASS ARKSettembre 17, 2021 - 12:54 pm
- BASELITZ AT PALAZZO GRIMANILuglio 20, 2021 - 10:04 pm
- FONDAZIONE PRADA: A NEW EXHIBITAprile 21, 2021 - 10:43 am
- UPCOMING EXHIBITS IN VENICELuglio 4, 2020 - 10:51 am
- “FROM TITIAN TO RUBENS”Gennaio 13, 2020 - 11:01 am
- HIGH TIDE IN VENICEGennaio 13, 2020 - 8:46 am
August 11th, 2022
Ai Weiwei in Venice! The city is about to offer one more opportunity to Modern art lovers, an extraordinary Ai Weiwei exhibit at St George’s isle, entitled the “Commedia Umana – Memento Mori”.
Venice is significant to him, both in personal and professional terms. He represented Germany in a group show at the Visual Arts Biennale 2013: at the same time, he was honored with a solo exhibit in a former church where his tragic experience in a Chinese State prison was told in an installation.
From August 28 through November 27, 2022, an enormous Murano glass chandelier will be hanging from the tall dome of the Dominican sanctuary designed by Andrea Palladio in 1576.
Over 18 feet wide and 27 feet high, it weighs 2958 lb, and was conceived by the Chinese artist, then made by Studio Berengo‘s highly skilled masters.
Mr. Carmelo Grasso, Director of St George’s Abby, was inspired by the evocative spiritual echoes of this unique piece.
Each of over 2000 black pieces was blown or shaped into solid components by hand, a daunting task for those who worked for months on the most massive glass sculpture ever made in the history of Murano manufacturing.
Without claiming to be a premiere – it was already shown last March at the Terme di Diocleziano in Rome – the Commedia Umana will return to its original venue to achieve international recognition.
Besides the impressive size and emotional impact, the title suggests a profound meditation on the human condition. Many glass bones, skulls, and unexpected objects witness the tragedy and comedy that characterizes life on earth. How can our existence cope with the great theatre of human history?
The exhibit continues with a full range of brand-new glass works, like the self-portrait “Brainless Figure in Glass, Glass Root” about Brazil land clearings and others made from porcelain, wood, and Lego materials.
The 2016 “Dropping a Han Dynasty Urn” consists of a photo series recreated in Lego blocks, capable of rendering surprising 3D effects.
A further chance to enjoy Contemporary art in a historical setting and help increase reciprocal value.
LA COMMEDIA UMANA – MEMENTO MORI
Island of St George, Venice, Italy
August 28 through November 27, 2022
Open Wednesdays – Mondays, closed Tuesdays
WALKS INSIDE ITALY
San Polo 1541 30125 VENICE, ITALY
C.F. e P. Iva 04331170276
Prot. 2016/16140 del 25-2-2016
Polizza Europ Assistance 8957877
ART CITY WALKS
affiliato al Network Gruppo Info Vacanze di Walks Inside Italy Snc
Sede Legale: San Polo, 1541
30125 Venice, Italy
Sede Operativa: Via Volta n.13
30020 Marcon (Ve), Italy
Tel 041 2750687 – Fax 041 5956807