EXPLORING THE LAGOON A FULL DAY TOUR
A leisurely private boat tour (approximately 6 hours) visiting the three most distinctive islands in the Venetian Lagoon, will take you back to the origins of Venice. Torcello, isolated in the middle of the water, has a millenary cathedral with awesome mosaics.
The most famous of these mosaics is a huge Doomsday, which occupies the entire counter facade of the church. The vivid colors and scenes, representing the descent of Jesus Christ to Hell, the Final Judgment, and the Seven Deadly Sins still have a profound impact on our imagination and will deeply impress you.
Here in Torcello we will also conjure the spirit of Ernest Hemingway, who spent some time in this secluded corner of the world, writing part of “Beyond the River and into the Trees.”
Burano, like many Mediterranean fishing villages, has tiny, brightly colored houses – a treat for photographers – and a friendly, peaceful atmosphere. The best souvenir in town:
- Torcello: mosaics in the Cathedral
- Burano: lace making and stroll around the island
- Murano : glass blowing and visit to St Donato
- Private boat ride in the Northern Lagoon
- Lunch on the islands (Torcello or Burano)
The Venetian lagoon has a surface area of around 550 square kilometers (210 square miles.) Only a mere 8% is occupied by land, including Venice itself and about forty smaller islands.
About 11% is permanently covered by water, its watercourses being called canals. Approximately 80% consists of mud flats, tidal shallows, and salt marshes.
The lagoon is connected to the Adriatic Sea by three inlets. The islands of the lagoon are subject to frequent floods. A complex system of movable dams – known with the name of MOSE, which stands in Italian for Electro Mechanic Modular System – is now safeguarding the entire area from recurrent exceptional high tides. The final works underwent an acceleration after a terrible flood on November 12th, 2019.
Venice and its lagoon were included on the UNESCO World Heritage List in 1987.
DRESS CODE AND ADVICE
- Short sleeves and kneee high pants and skirts are ok
- No sleeveless and no shorts/skirts above the knee
- This tour lasts six hours and costs 1.575 euros up to six people (not per person), only private parties. For larger paries send us an email!
Transportation included (private watertaxi for six hours)
- Admission fees per person:
- Church of Santa Maria Assunta at Torcello 5 euros
- Church of Santi Maria e Donato 3,50 euros
- LUNCH NOT INCLUDED