MURANO PAST & PRESENT A DISCERNING SHOPPING TOUR
We start the tour with a visit to a very traditional Murano furnace, renowned for their classic Rezzonico chandeliers, Baroque-style goblets, crystal gold cups, colored chalices with twisted stems, and more.
Father and son work together, while the rest of the family assists, performing in perfect silence and synchrony, as everyone knows their roles and gestures very well. It almost looks like a dance!
The second glass atelier we shall visit creates modern and unique pieces, like large vases, chandeliers, and sculptures, all based on the glass master’s personal style and as the direct expression of a long technical and creative evolution.
You will be amazed by the simplicity of the tools used, and by the artist’s intense concentration in the heat and smoke of the burning furnace!
You will also have time to explore the showrooms and ask all the questions you wish about the objects exhibited.
An exciting firsthand experience which you will unlikely find anywhere else!
- trip to Murano island on a private watertaxi
- Visit to two artisan glass making ateliers
- Opportunity of taking pictures and asking questions about glass
A tour focusing on the island of Murano, where glass-making families have been in business for over 700 years. They tenaciously continue today to carry on the art of glass blowing, not as an industry but as an artisan craft, defying the rest of the world’s attempts to imitate it.
The first written document testifying glass production in Venice goes back to 982, when the glass furnaces where still in downtown Venice itself.
However, archaeological research has given the evidence of glassmaking activities in Torcello back in the 7th/8th centuries, as to say at the very beginning of Venetian civilization.
DRESS CODE AND ADVICE
- No dress code required
- This is mainly a shopping tour, although you will see real production in two top level glass workshops.
- If you’re interested in a more historical tour including the Murano Glass Museum please check our MURANO GLASS HISTORY TOUR in this same LAGOON & ISLANDS SECTION.
- This tour lasts three hours and costs 440 euros up to six people (not per person), only private parties. For larger parties send us an email!
- Transportation: Included (private watertaxi)