RIALTO MARKET MORNING TOUR – WITH LOCAL FOOD
Rialto is Venice’s heart and is in the heart of any Venetian. The writer of these lines was born and lives there and still considers it the center of the world. Once, when Venice was an international trading hub, ships arrived here, at the foot of the Bridge, carrying goods from all over, together with fresh news. silk, cotton and woolen textiles, precious stones and metals, furs, leather, food, wine, olive oil and spices.
Even those that had never been in Venice, like Shakespeare, fancy this area as a melting pot, where merchants and bankers met by the celebrated ‘Gobbo’, a whimsical statue at the foot of the Rialto Bridge. Here, twice a day, the businessmen gathered to hear the ‘breaking news’ about world trading, taxation, and prices.
The whole area of Rialto was organized in order to provide any possible service to the merchants and sailormen, including bureau de change, banks, inns, wine bars, trattorias, female (or male) company – behind the scenes there was a ‘red lights district’, and public theatres. The Venetian State was present with its offices and a prison right at the foot of the Bridge.
Today the reason of a visit is not only that of re-enacting the past, which does not come difficult, as most of the buildings here are between 800 and 500 years old. The charm of Rialto is
- Rialto island & food market
- Food shopping with personal advisor
- Historical introduction to Venice’s economical history
- Wine and food tasting with the locals
- Private transportation back and forth
DRESS CODE AND ADVICE
- No dress code!
- This tour lasts two and a half hours and costs 380 euros up to six people (not per person), only private parties. For larger parties send us an email!
- The above cost does NOT include tastings
- Tastings: 30 euros per person