LAGOON & BURANO SLOW
BURANO & LAGOON – SLOW TOUR
Venice mirrors her beauty in the calm waters of a 212 square miles Lagoon. Its shallows, perilous to navigate, were for long centuries the natural defense from enemy attacks, allowing Venice’s long political independence. It communicates with the sea through three inlets, today protected by the MOSE dams.
Salt was extracted and traded along the rivers – Piave, Brenta, Sile – that used to empty into the Adriatic Sea at this point. Redesigned by human intervention during the 15th and 16th centuries, when the rivers were diverted, it still provides a good quantity of fish, shells, and seafood for local consumption and for export.
Our journey in the north Lagoon follows some of the deeper natural canals that meander through it. You will learn about the peculiarities of this fragile ecosystem, the largest wetland in the Mediterranean basin.
On our way to Burano, we pass by the islands of
- Private water-taxi navigation in the north Lagoon
- Burano at leisure
- Visit to a lace-making atelier
- Lecture about the Lagoon of Venice & its islands
DRESS CODE AND ADVICE
- No dress code! A hat and suntan in the summer…
- This tour lasts three hours and costs 760 euros up to six people (not per person), only private parties. For larger parties send us an email!
- Drinks are NOT included